Friday, July 28, 2017

An informal TEDx speech in print explains why are 'doomed, doomed' in 500 years vis-a-vis man-made global warming


by staff writers




Can we talk? About the future of humankind in regard to climate change impact events coming down the road, and how cli-fi novels and movies might wake people up before it's too late to stop runaway global warming?
Think of this as an informal TEDx talk in print, rather than on video. I don't do video well. I prefer the printed word. This won't take much of your time, but if you have a few minutes, please do read. And when you finish, please feel free to respond with your own point of view or comments in the comments section below. Or email me. I am in the phone book.


This is what I want to say: not only that we as a humanity are doomed, doomed, but that all the cli-fi novels and cli-fi movies in the world won't save us. Nor will they wake people up. Those who are sleep walking toward the Climapocalypse will continue sleepwalking. Even a powerful news article by someone like David Wallace-Wells won't wake them up. Let them be.
And all the scientific charts and statistics and ideas about geoengineering the climate and sustainability "fixes" and solutions won't save us from the doom we humans face. We are really doomed, doomed. 




So what's the point of cli-fi novels and movies in the 21st century? From my point of view, we need to use novels and movies to help prepare future generations for what's coming down the road and to help prepare them to learn how do die in massive human die-offs, and to die with grace and dignity and some kind of spiritual redemption.


Yes, the real purpose of cli-fi today in 2017 is to help prepare our descendants to learn how to die with grace and dignity in the year 2500 or 3500. It's going to happen. We can help prepare future generations for this inexorable eventuality. That's my brief. That's my TEDx speech in print. Take it for what's it's worth.


I am not trying to convince anyone to my point of view or to persuade anyone to accept my perspective. This is not a propaganda ploy and I don't work for any religious organization or cult. I am not religious. I haven't believed in a human-constructed god or gods since I was 13 years ago.
So take what you want from my first-ever TEDx speech in print. And do comment below. I am all ears.
And one final note: I remain an optimist in my daily life.


No comments: